The Supported Independent Living Program philosophy is based on the following:
- Each individual is unique and deserving of respect and dignity
- All adolescents have the same basic needs
- All adolescents have the right to experience a verity of opportunities for personal growth and development
- All adolescents, given the right type of support, have the ability to learn to manage their own lives
- The community the adolescent resides in has the responsibility to support and nurture its members
- All individuals have the right to self determination
The Supported Independent Living program assists youth between the ages of 14-18 years old in developing their independent living and life skills to prepare them for adulthood. The program completes an assessment with an individual/youth which determines which areas the youth needs to work on to be successful in adulthood. Once the assessment is complete the program then works on the identified skills such as; budgeting, time management, job searching and career development, using a number of different teaching tools such as; hands-on activities, individual teachings, group sessions and workshops. The program provides support to youth in maintaining their educational goals as well as gaining employment. Youth meet with a Support Worker weekly to discuss life skill goals they would like to achieve and provides support in working towards achieving those goals. The program hosts variousworkshops each week that provide youth the opportunity to build their independent living skills and introduce them to a number of supports and services that they can access in the community before and after adulthood.
The program assists youth in building a support network that includes both professional and nonprofessional supports. Whenever possible, our team will assist with strengthening relationships between the youth and family members while still connecting youth with different supports in the community.
The program assists youth who may be experiencing periods of homelessness an opportunity to learn what resources are available to them or to secure safe accommodations in the community. Our team is able to provide ongoing support in maintaining those accommodations, ensuring that youth have the necessary furnishings and financial means to reside in that independent placement.